Monday, July 11, 2011

Tidying up

We have maters!
So far this is it though.
These are the only plants we bought, the rest were all started from seed so they still need some time to grow yet.

I pulled out all of the strawberries and replanted them on the hill. Now we have about 40% free room in there so we went and got some more plants.
A few herbs...



And a bunch of sweet peas...

That's pretty much all we could find being so late in the vegetable season now.

We have Dill trees!


I noticed a big problem with the Grow Camp cables, they are rusting from the inside. I don't give them much more than a year before they start breaking. I tried to get some good photos showing this problem...

I had to let the camera focus on my fingers to get clear shots of the cables.




The first reaction was "it's because of your sprinklers in there", but that can't be the problem because you are going to hose the thing down one way or another, plus it's sitting out in the rain, it's going to get wet!


These are obviously steel braided cables and they have a thick rubberized jacket on them but either moister/humidity is wicking it's was down inside the jacket from the ends, or the jacket is semi-permeable allowing moisture in. Since the rusting is pretty even all over the cable I'm leaning towards the semi-permeable idea. So apparently the jacket is not air tight and oxygen free like they should be. Probably a manufacturing fowl up on China's part I'm guessing, but these are going to need to be replaced with something that holds up much better. I'm not sure what I am going to do about it at this point, probably wait until one breaks and then contact Grow Camp and or the US distributor again. These are part of the frame so they should have a lifetime warranty.

In other news, we have a bunch of Pillbugs...

Not a big deal, they are just eating the rabbit poop from when the rabbits snuck in there over the winter.

I'll get some pics of Strawberry hill if all those guys make it after the move.

6 comments:

Rosalind MA said...

Hi There,

I started my Grow Camp this year, and have really been enjoying watching what is happening. My hope is that it will extend the growing season in the fall, and that we can have lettuce and spinach past the frost dates. I did not over plant, but I did make the mistake of putting tomatoes in there, and I am constantly having to prune them back. We have had a strange year this year, and none of my neighbors have any tomatoes at this point. I am no exception. We have had peas, lettuce, and spinach...all eaten now, and the other veggies are coming along.

The cable rust is disconcerting. Thanks for posting the pictures. I will watch my cables closely. Did you keep the plastic cover on all winter?

Scott said...

Any sign of frost we always roll the covers down. They were down all winter but we had some major winds that blew some of the corners open enough for rabbits to jump in there. Once the snow starts we don't bother with trying to continue growing in it. This winter I'll come up with a way to seal it up tighter, maybe industrial packing saran wrap...?

Rosalind MA said...

I so like the idea of the Grow Camp, and ours is doing well thus far, but I'm finding more horror stories. Have you seen this:

http://grandma4five.blogspot.com/2011/07/grow-camp-greenhouse.html?showComment=1310501630258#c908525645329346551

Scott said...

Thanks awhirl. Yeah, that's not a good sign of durability at all! Costco will correct it, they have always been great about that. Glad we got ours at Costco too. :)

Donna said...

Thanks for leaving a message, Scott. We loved the concept and are building one in the next couple of weeks, with a covering we will be making ourselves, and brick for a base. Pop back in a few weeks and see what we accomplish - with a little help ~

GrowCamp, unfortunately, would not return phone calls or email, but only one call to Costco and boy, they have really taken care of the problem! Great customer service from Costco.

We had great success our first year! Our tomatoes and peppers were a bumper crop, with plenty through December even with many frosts and even a couple of freezing nights. We did use a snow blanket for crops inside, but still...

Wow do plants go crazy in it! I'm hoping those aren't 4 rosemary plants I saw in your herb garden ~ here we use them as drought tolerant ground cover here, getting 3'+ high, 4'+ wide (each plant) with minimal watering. With water and in the GrowCamp, oh boy! I have kept mine in a 2'x2'pot and it is contained.

Best of luck, something so large needing constant repairing is a pain!

Blessings, Donna
grandma4five

Rosalind MA said...

I keep my rosemary in large planters. I move them into the house for the winter, and put ornaments on them in december. They move easily back outside in the spring.

Post a Comment